Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cookware and Kitchen Tools

Every recipe in GOOD FOOD has been tested. This has meant a lot of cooking, and a lot of eating. Much of the testing was done while I was on sabbatical in a rented apartment where the owners obviously did no cooking, judging by the kitchen tools available to me.

I had brought along my own sauté pans (Earth Chef ceramic coated cookware), my own $11.00 travel blender, and my own “on-it’s-last-legs” Black and Decker $39.00 food processor. I had to buy an inexpensive stainless steel sauce pot, cupcake papers, and parchment paper to line the “suspicious” baking pans available in the apartment. This taught me a great lesson about the “Maximized” kitchen. I came to realize that you actually need very little special equipment to live a “Maximized” life. But I do recommend that you invest in:
· A food processor
· A blender
· One heavy bottomed soup pot (I recommend cast iron, followed by stainless steel.)
· One heavy bottomed 2Litre pot (I recommend cast iron, followed by stainless steel.)


The last thing I recommend is the purchase of a new generation of non-stick cookware.

I am frightened to use Teflon non-stick pans. Do some research on teflon, and you will want to throw out all your teflon pans and replace them with one or two sizes of either “Green Pan” (available at Target in the U.S.) or “Earth Chef” (available at Zellers in Canada) sauté pans. I specifically recommend these pans because, while they are non-stick surfaces, they are not coated with Teflon or other toxic non-stick materials. These pans are inexpensive and will be a giant first step in removing toxins from your kitchen tools and techniques.
The picture above of the two non-stick sauté pans I use may help you recognize the “Earth Chef” or “Green Pan” ceramic powder coated non-stick pans you should look for.

Glass cookware, such as Corning Ware, is also acceptable. I like to use Pyrex or Corning Ware for oven dishes of all sorts, from cakes and pies to Lemon Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment